The Residents, are an America avant-garde and visual arts group, active since 1969.
- Have released over sixty albums
- numerous music videos
- short films
- Conceal their identities from the public, so they appear silent and costumed.
- Polarizing critical opinion and mostly eluding mainstream recognition.
- Their albums are often complex conceptual pieces, composed around a theme, theory or plot, and are noted for surrealistic lyrics and disregard for standard Western pop music composition.
- When they began, the group purchased crude recording equipment and instruments and began to make tapes, refusing to let an almost complete lack of musical proficiency stand in the way.